Thursday, September 22

My Friends

I am one of those lucky few!!! I have been blessed with some very, very good friends. I don’t think I tell them enough how much they mean to me, or how much they have influenced my life. So here’s my ode to some of them, in alphabetical order! (So that no one gets mad at me!! Refer to Seinfeld episode where he gets upset when he gets moved down on his girlfriend’s speed dial)

Rajat


My buddy!! Funny, witty, gentle, loving, off the beat sense of humor. He has the longest eyelashes I’ve ever seen on a human being! :-P We had some good times back in the days! No one can ever ask for a better roommate. I love the fact that he defends anyone and everyone just because he can’t speak ill of anyone, spends all day watching crappy movies on UPN 20, reads almost anything he can get his hands on (although I haven’t been successful in getting him hooked to Harry Potter!). He let me drive his brand new Jetta for months and he took the bus to work!!!!!!! He has the quirkiest nicknames for me: Jeanine Garafello (Am I as radical as she is?), Gina Gershawn(I wish I looked half as sexy as she does!!!) I never know what he is going to call me when I answer his call!!! He is like the brother I never had rolled into a best friend. Thank you for caring!!!

Tanveer


My main man, my very best friend. He is such a cool guy, my geek who doesn’t look anything like a geek!! He is my most severe critic. He knows which buttons to push to get me mad as a bull in three seconds flat! He drives me crazy by leaving the wet towel on my side of the bed. When I ask him to do something, his generic answer “korbo” (will do) drives me up the wall. (It doesn’t get done for at least three weeks) Yet, I love him with all my heart. I can’t think of anyone else loving me as much as he does, even with all my idiosyncrasies. (Yes, I am aware of some debilitating faults I possess!!) He holds me tight when I cry. He makes me laugh. I love when he speaks geek speak. I can tell him anything and everything and know it will be ok. He has a big heart and loves everyone like there is no tomorrow. I’ve seen him not lose hope in his darkest days and work hard to get where he is today. I can’t even begin to think what I would have done if he wasn’t there during my tough times. I admire him a lot and I don’t think I tell him that enough times. He is a great father, an outstanding son, wonderful brother, an awesome friend. I want Raffae to be just like him when he grows up (except maybe a little more tidy!! There’s always room for improvement! )

Tanya


If Tanveer is my main man, she is my girl!! My Jaan. My Tanuputi. She and her lovely family was a big part of my teen life. I am who I am because of a lot of their influences! No one had parents cooler than hers! No one had a more adorable brother to play with and a nerdy enough sister to lecture us about stuff. I practically lived with them at one point, and they gladly welcomed me in their lives. We have this connection that I do not share with anyone else. We can talk to each other without speaking a word. (We do need to be in the same room to do that!) She knows me like no one else does. Even after all these years, I know I will find her listening ears and open arms whenever I need it. She is smart, gorgeous, intelligent, artistic, understanding… I can go on and on and on and on about her! I am beginning to see why all those guys were crazy for her at high school. :-P

Tarana


She is my lil sis. You wouldn’t know it from the way she bosses me around!!!!! From what I hear, she had me wrapped around her pinky the day she was born. (I offered to give up my favorite spoon, all my dolls and their clothes for her). She tagged along with me all the time and I had no problem with that. She is one of a kind! Who else picks out their own name!!! (In Bangladesh, you get a nickname when you are born. Parents usually pick a proper name when you go to school. At 3 ½ years old, she knew she wanted to be named Tarana and I don’t think any other name would have suited her) I sometimes feel like I forced her to grow up faster. After all, when I started noticing boys, she was only about 8/9! But I had to tell her what I was doing and get her approval! J She boosted up my ego after my first heartbreak, listened patiently to my nonstop chatter even if it gave her daily headaches (she claims), gave me half her slice of chocolate cake after I devoured mine in seconds!! She was my first best friend and always will be. I had millions of names for her… Lizu, lichu, piaju, buchi, khedi are to name a few. Lizu, I still think you are the better-looking one in the family. ;-) I wish you all the best and more in life. Thank you for being there for me.

No comments: