Friday, February 24

Her whole life in two suitcases

They were a young couple with a small child. They rented a room and started their first "shongshar" in Dhaka. That was 1973. Next week, she will be reaching USA with her 36 year old "shongshar", packed in two suitcases. My mom. A teacher. A grandma. A great mother. A widow. I still can't think of her as a widow.

I think relationships between parents and children change as the children enter different stages of their lives. I feel like I never got to know my parents as an adult myself. I left them in 1992, barely out of my teenage years. I didn't spend more then 6 months in a row with them since then. Now I would never have that chance with Abbu. That's why I am really looking forward to my mom spending some time with us. I've heard stories here and there, but this time I want to sit down and ask her questions, get all the details and engrave them in my memory.

Good thing memories don't get put into suitcases.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Your mom sounds like such a great woman. I hope that when we visit you I get to meet her :)

Clueless said...

Interesting blog...

I've been with my parents for long, but its only now that I am getting to spend some quality time with them. I sit and talk to mom for hrs... God! she has so much to share... and I get to learn a lot :)